Friday, 11 July 2014

Embracing what is



I had a conversation recently with a friend of mine and she asked me:

"What is your secret?"

My secret? I asked her to elaborate.

"You cope so well with having multiple health conditions, what's your secret?" 

Well the truth is there is no secret - I've just learnt to embrace it.


Nobody ever thinks they will get ill. At least not at a young age anyway. When I was a child I was the same as every other child in that I dreamt of growing up  and having my dream job (mine was to become an actress, which I half fulfilled before things went downhill) I dreamt of travelling the world, being free and just being a 'grown up' and doing normal things like food shopping and driving a car. You don't dream of getting sick and loosing out on the years of your prime. You never think you'll grow up not being able to do a food shop or drive a car or go to work.

That being said, I can't change what is. I can't change the here and now. All I can do is accept it and embrace it. Don't get me wrong I am not glad to be in this situation but I might as well make the most of what is, and deal with it in the best and most positive way I can.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that things don't always go to plan. Things aren't always as we'd like them to be in an ideal world. Things might not have turned out the way we dreamt they would when we were younger but we can choose to embrace the path we have landed on even if it is really rocky and it seems never ending. It's going to be a journey and good or bad there will always be things we can learn from and take away from that journey.

If you have an illness use it to educate, help and inspire others. Use it as a way to meet people who may become some of your closest friends. If you're unemployed use your free time to learn a new skill or volunteer somewhere. If you're feeling lost and unsure what you're doing with your life go out and meet people, leave your comfort zone and re-discover who you are. Whatever your story is - just embrace what is.

Lots of love

35 comments:

  1. Loved this, you should become an inspirational speaker!! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Aww haha thank you but I think there are people far more suited for that than me!

      Delete
    2. you did so well in your video with meg, you would honestly be great!

      Delete
  2. Preach it! Why dwell on the negative side, I agree we should embrace life and take the bull by the horns and show life who is boss.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post, lovely. You have an amazing attitude and I wish people in the same situation as you could see it like you do xxx
    http://my--socalledlife.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! I know, most do, but there are some who really struggle and I wish I could help them

      Delete
  4. I really like this. The last paragraph should be relatable to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it Billy! I hope so, there is always something to embrace in a situation :)

      Delete
  5. Your words are so powerful. I agree with Rebecca become a motivation speaker! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you that is such a nice thing to say! Xxx

      Delete
  6. Such a lovely positive post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Billy, and thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  7. I love this post! What's the point in getting upset and angry over something you can't change, you're right that you've got to make the most out of the situation you've been given! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It's not always easy, but we've got to try our best!

      Delete
  8. I couldn't love this any more, you wonderful human!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Meg! YOU are a wonderful human!

      Delete
  9. So young and yet so wise! This is actually quite a profound idea you express here, simply accepting what is and making the best of it. It is probably the key to a useful existence, and what we should all aspire to.

    Though it should be said, it's not always easy to achieve, and it's ok not to be positive and forward thinking all of the time. It's ok to show that things are getting too much, to acknowledge that life is difficult, to moan now and then, even if it is just to let off steam.

    Still, I enjoy your philosophy, -"leave your comfort zone, rediscover who you are" - such good advice. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TCS! I agree, it isn't always easy, but as long as we try. I just like everyone else have my bad days and that's OK - that's just life.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Khristina! That means a lot to me! <3

      Delete
  11. Great post! I have always struggled with being optimistic and positive, but I'm trying so hard to change my ways! This will help me remember that even though I might have struggles there are still things to gain from it

    Lu xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're trying you best and that is a positive thing! I always look at it like being negative requires more energy than being positive does :)

      Delete
  12. I guess that's what people do, they adapt. As hard as it may be.

    / Avy
    http://MyMotherFuckedMickJagger.blogspot.com



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! It might be hard and it might take time but we do

      Delete
  13. What you say makes perfect sense, Hayley, though the strength it took to bring you to that way of thinking boggles my mind. You are exceptional!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well said! There is no point in fighting it, just embrace it! Love your attitude!

    Lennae
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I learnt this at the age of 14 and still to this day find it the most useful advice you can give anyone, all my love sweetpea x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it. Leave your blog links for me to look at and if you have a question don't forget to check back for a reply or tweet me directly @hayleyszucs :)