Monday, 13 January 2014

To Good Friends

Over the past few years since becoming ill, I haven't been the most sociable person in the world. Not a choice I made but one of the realities I have had to begrudgingly accept. When you are ill, being social is bloody hard work! Comparing myself to the 'old me' isn't always the best idea because I need to accept that this is who I am now, and this is what I have to work with. However, in this case I would like to point out that I haven't always been an antisocial introvert, in fact I was quite the opposite! 

It takes a certain type of friend to stick around when you become so very ill. Someone that doesn't care if you can't join them on shopping trips or nights out, they don't care that coming over to sit by your bed side is as fun as it is going to get, or that cancelling said bedside visit at the last minute because you are too ill isn't a problem under the circumstances. They have to not care, even if it is rare, to not be seen in public with someone that looks like the walking dead, they don't care if they have to push you around even if the journey does include a hill which they are really going to struggle with, and if the chair is left at home they have to not care that their blood circulation may be cut off temporarily as you cling on to their arm for fear of falling to the ground. They have to not care that their friend isn't like they are any more, but they DO have to care that their friend is still the same person inside and they need friends more than ever. These friends are hard to come by, which is why I love the special ones I have so very much.

Two of these special friends travelled up from London to visit me last week. It was the first time in a long time we had seen each other but it felt like we had never even been apart, and that to me is a sign of true friendship. Of course I wish I could see friends more, and do more fun things with them, but for now I'm happy with what I can get and that I am well enough to even see friends at all because there was a time when I couldn't. 

Here's to good friends, and friends that don't care, but still do care!


Here we are freezing our arses off getting so windswept at my beach, Londoners need some beach in their life though, even if it is freezing.




Twitter: @hayleyszucs     Instagram: @hayley_eszti     Bloglovin: here

16 comments:

  1. We have never met, but I REALLY enjoy visiting your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute post Hayley, so glad you saw your friends and had a nice time, it can be hard to find the energy to see people and do things but when we do its always worth it to feel and be normal right? Look after yourself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling normal for a while is so so worth the pain that follows!

      Delete
  3. I love seeing you with your friends and I get so mad that you became this ill while so young!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that Lauren Branning lol? Glad you had fun with friends, I've lost a lot of mine during the time of being unwell, never nice but you learn who your real friends are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, yes, well the actress who plays her anyway! You really do, it's a shame :(

      Delete
  5. Look at the happiness in those eyes! What a lovely photo of you three Hayley-Eszti! Must have been a real treat to have them near.
    I thought it was always warm in Spain? What do I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, although I should point out we are on a beach in England as I haven't gone back yet! But Spain does get cold too during their winter, surprising how many people think it is hot all year round actually...

      Delete
  6. biggest misconception about introversion; that you're anti-social

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally relate to this post! Friends who can face chronic illness by our sides are such amazing, special people! They have to be so accepting. It can be hard for them to know what to do to help and hard to know what to say at times- let's face it- we're not easy to be friends with! ;) (And I find it absolutely awesome that you're friends with the actress who plays Lauren Branning!!?!)
    Take care, Jess X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more, and you're right, we are probably quite difficult at times! haha yes we are friends, we went to drama school together :)

      Delete
  8. Such a good post, and lovely pictures! It's so true that difficult circumstances make you realise who your true friends are and it really makes such a difference having supportive people around. My friends always know how to cheer me up - and I think some of them know more about M.E. than some doctors!! I hope that 2014 is good to you and that it brings you many more beach days than bed days : ) Katharine xo
    www.katharineandme.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hayley, I'm glad you have some friends that have stuck by you and that you managed to have a good day out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it. Leave your blog links so I can come and read yours. If you have a question don't forget to check back for a reply or tweet me directly @hayleyszucs :)